html

https://www.blogger.com/rearrange?blogID=5383589609323438103&action=editWidget§ionId=crosscol&widgetType=null&widgetId=HTML2

Monday, June 29, 2015

Quail

After yesterday's post I decided to take a better look at some of the places I usually see only pairs this time of the year. Yes, the little ones were there and a lot bigger than I figured they'd be. I guess I've been figuring that since I only a saw pairs off the road in the past that there were no little ones. I now believe those little ones were just ducking in the higher brush as I drove or walked by.

There were at least a dozen small birds with this hen and I encountered another covey with an equal amount of young ones.
I'm sure I'll find the chukar numbers are good also as soon as this heat wave passes.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

First quick scout trip on chukar to one of my count spots, and I was not in the area at prime chukar spotting time. Saw 5 hatches between 3-7 weeks old, most were approx 5 weeks. Hatch size was good for all age groups. One large hatch was approx 60% + grown.

The hopper count was lower than I expected, hope the 3 week old chick's can find enough bugs to make it through this heat wave and develop. We do not need a repeat of a few years ago when the hatch was good and suddenly we lost a lot of them to lack of bugs, heat and likely west Nile.

Let's hope that this hatch survives, as I am pleasantly optimistic from what I saw from the early hatch.

Mark

larry szurgot said...

Great news. Thanks Mark.