html

https://www.blogger.com/rearrange?blogID=5383589609323438103&action=editWidget§ionId=crosscol&widgetType=null&widgetId=HTML2

Thursday, August 20, 2015

More birds

Jake and I made our final scouting trip yesterday and were real excited with what we found. We went to a place we had been to earlier and had been a little disappointed with our findings but once again found how one trip to an area means nothing.

Although scenting conditions were poor at the best, Jake managed to bump several different covey of chukar. The difference in ages of the chicks ranged from fully grown to only three weeks old or less. One covey of large chukars was approximately 40 birds indicating several groups already gathering while one late hatch numbered at least 15 babies with the two adults. I didn't see one hun but that is pretty typical. They just seem to show up sometime during the hunting season. They must nest in different areas and eventually migrate into the chukar habitat.

Also, many of the ranchers that ride the same area's that I scout gave me some good reports on the bird numbers. All of them feel the bird numbers are on the rise.

We have another hot spell coming next week and if we can make it through this one without any more major fires I think we'll be looking pretty good. The numbers won't be like 2005 but a lot better than the last two years. My predictions are those guys that don't give up early will be finding enough birds to keep the day exciting and possibly bring home a limit. There are still lot's of places with no birds that can make it pretty discouraging but when you find them it will be worth the trip.

I won't be scouting any more this season and Jake and I are preparing for the season. In ten days the grouse season opens and we are hoping to get some warm up trips after them before the chukar season opens on the 19th of September. Maybe due to the heat, Jake and I have been fortunate and not seen any snakes in the past month but know they will be showing up again for the next month and a half as they head back to their dens. I hope everyone has taken their dog's through some sort of snake avoidance class. Also, the cheat is high and thick in places. It's perfect ear high if you're a dog and plan on a trip to the vet if you go out before a heavy rain and wind to knock the cheat down.

I hope everyone has as good a season as I plan on having. Be safe out there and get your dog out as much as possible. I'm sure he/she will show you a great time if you give them a chance. Good luck and happy hunting.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a positive report Larry. I'm sure Jake will find some birds for you this fall .Sounds like he has matured a lot from the first year. Kate and I are looking forward to our trip Sept 5th through the 8th. We would cancel if the weather is not great so I do a lot of praying. Mays is finally recovering from the first trip . I'm running him by the Vet to see what I can do to help him recover faster. I haven't given up on a trip to Idaho .Business has picked up a bit so its still possible. Sure would be nice. Good luck.
Alan and Mays

larry szurgot said...

Hope you can make it. Jake and I are chomping at the bit to get going.