Thursday, March 5, 2020

down time

This is one of those post you hope you never have to do but I figure with all the inquisitive calls I'm getting I just as well tell the story.

Monday I cut down a few trees around the property and the last one got hung up in a precarious position. I knew it there was a lot of pressure on the tree but figure as I cut the remaining part of the tree the log would shoot away from me.

Wrong. It shot back through my leg busting it pretty good. I immediately knew I was in trouble and tried to yell for help but soon realized the neighbors couldn't hear me. I had to get across the creek and to my side by side so I could get some help. As I drug my leg behind me the foot was facing in the wrong direction and I could see a bone sticking out through the muscle. I had no choice but to get to the side by side, pull myself up into it and head for a neighbor who was an x paramedic who took care of me from that point on until life flight picked me up.

So, that it the short story of how it happened. I spent three days in the hospital and the doc kept stressing how bad the fracture was and that I would not be able to put any wight on that foot for three months. I have to admit that this injury scared the crap out of me and realized how hard it might have been to splint my own leg had I have had to. 

Jake and Grady are real disappointed at the thought of not getting out much this Spring but we'll get through it somehow. Say a few prayers for my dogs in hopes that we still can find a way to enjoy the mountains during this down time and hopefully I'll be seeing you all by late summer.


Greg said...

Hung up trees are so unpredictable, except they are all spelled TROUBLE. That is how a lot of people die so count yourself lucky you will still be around next season. Maybe a few of us can stay closer to you on the mountain for at least a year when you are back to 100%. Wishing you a speedy recovery, and the dogs will be lots of company.

Ben said...

Sucks that happened. Glad it happened so far from hunting season though!

Pat, Marcus & Alexis said...

Yikes! I'm glad that this didn't turn out any worse than it did. Greg is right, you are lucky you are still with us.

Tuckers Chukars said...

Thanks guys. I am very lucky. The guys that took care of me after it happened did one hell of a job. The first half hour after it happened, every time I looked at my leg I thought I was going to lose it and could only think of how I was going to get my dogs onto the mountain and spending the time they deserve. Today I know it's just about taking time to heal and rehab and we'll be back on the mountain as soon as it is possible.

Every once in a while it seems like we have to go through a gut check, as well as a brain check and this accident was my time to count my lucky stars.

Chukarhunter50 said...

rest and rehab is key as you know. you will be back. Conner will do a great job keeping the dogs sharp. If you need anything, just let us fellow local hunters know and we will try to come help. Mark

Tuckers Chukars said...

Thanks Mark. Just got back from the Doctor's with some new pictures and a full description of the operation as the Doctor saw it. Not a description from a chukar hunter on drugs. I'll be writing a post in the next few days from a chukar hunter and dog lover perspective. I hope lot's of people read it to realize how important it is to have passions such as I do with chukars and dogs. This accident has been a real eye opener for me.

Job Pedro said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.