html

https://www.blogger.com/rearrange?blogID=5383589609323438103&action=editWidget§ionId=crosscol&widgetType=null&widgetId=HTML2

Monday, September 3, 2012

Getting Closer

John Carter asked where I've been lately? I checked my blog and realized it's been over a month since I've posted. I have to admit there hasn't been much to post about except Riley's recovery. Although it's not that exciting, there might be some that are wondering what to look forward to if their dog ever blows a knee. We've been on the hill every other day since week 10 post op or August 1. Riley shows no sign of pain or limping. He has progressed from 3 miles a day to 9 and would probably go further except I stop at that distance. My only concern is, the evening of the hike, he has a pretty hard time getting up from the laying or sitting position. I hope we're not going too fast. The vet says it takes 6 months for total recovery, which is two months away. We've been able to throw the gun into the equation since Aug. 30 and that helped pick up the pace quite a bit. Every point and retrieve on the blues seems to help both of us forget about the long summer. We're going to get out 3 more times and then take a five day break in preparation for the chukar opener in Idaho. Hopefully, we'll know when to say when, once we start doing what we love best. On a side note. My 10 year old grandson, Conner, shot a limit of doves on his first ever dove hunt. I wasn't there to watch it, but he said there was a big pile of empties on the ground by the time he got his tenth bird. Riley and I have a lot of excitement coming to us through this boy in the coming years. You young guys out there working your tails off, trying to make a living and wondering whether it's worth it at times, keep faith. It does get better. I don't know anyone who has a better life than I do. Family, dogs and the outdoors. It really doesn't get any better.

2 comments:

eaglefurn said...

Good to hear from you Larry. I'm glad to hear that Riley and yourself are recovering well. I know I am much slower in the field these days yet I enjoy hunting more despite the limitations. Mays seems to slow his pace for me which helps me out when I have to climb or go through heavy cover. I am looking forward to hearing about your season. Keep us posted.

larry szurgot said...

Thanks, and you do the same.