html

https://www.blogger.com/rearrange?blogID=5383589609323438103&action=editWidget§ionId=crosscol&widgetType=null&widgetId=HTML2

Sunday, September 6, 2015

And 2015 upland season has begun

A quick preview to what we're hoping the 2015 upland season is going to be like.

Of course Conner had to show off on opening day of the grouse season. He and Jake teamed up on a rough and a blue. The blue was Conner's first.
Today, while Conner is over in Oregon fishing for salmon, Jake and I headed out on our own. It rained a little yesterday and the low was in the upper 30's this morning so we were hoping for some excitement. We hunted an area that usually has some chukars with a few blue grouse mixed in and the area didn't let us down. On the way up the mountain Jake bumped a couple of large covey of chukars that sailed over the top of me, chuckling at me as they passed. They seemed to know I couldn't shoot. Although I was a little disappointed that Jake busted them, I was tickled to see two large covey of chukars this early in the hunt.

We kept heading up and it wasn't long before Jake had his first point of the season for me. Conner got to follow up the points last week.
I flushed two blues and knocked one down for Jake's first retrieve to me for the year. When Conner shoots a bird it's a race to see who get's to the bird first, Conner or Jake.
We had a little more luck with the blues, but the chukar's dominated most of the rest of the morning. Once I shot a bird, Jake figured out this wasn't a summer jaunt and got in some serious chukar time. He had point after point and I got to flush the birds and go bang, bang as I swung the bead in front of the birds and salivated.
It seemed so easy today. The birds didn't fly very far and a few times actually just crow hopped twenty yards or so in front of Jake giving him a second chance to point. They scattered over the hill and laughed at us as though they knew the season was still 13 days away.
So, if the next four months are anything like today, it's gonna be fun.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome pictures of Jake on point. I can imagine the excitement of a new season coming your way. I'm sure Connor is looking forward to hunting with his Grandpa.
Mays,kate and I are recovering slowly from our trip.sorry about the quality of the video,I don't have any idea how to cut it so its shorter. It gives you an idea how Mays likes to point uphill. we shot poorly but had good dog work and that's the main thing anyway.
Take care and good hunting to you all.Mays says to say Hi to Jake and added that he hopes his master can hit more birds.
Alan,Kate, and Mays

Kirklan said...

Larry - Good to see you start another upland season. I'm sure hoping that this years May and early June rains bring on a bumper crop of birds. Did the coveys Jake pointed appear to have young birds? Hopefully I'll be able to get over that way this year (I didn't make it over last year). I'd like to meet up with you for some campfire talk. Who knows, maybe my atlas I accidentally left with you will have a few "X" marks the spot in it.

Kirklan

larry szurgot said...

Kirklan. There were lot's of young birds. I believe this year will be a turn around from the last couple. Let me know if you make it this way. We have a couple of years of stories to pass around that campfire. Jake and I are starting our season Sunday with a shell partially filled with ashes at Tuckers favorite spot.