html

https://www.blogger.com/rearrange?blogID=5383589609323438103&action=editWidget§ionId=crosscol&widgetType=null&widgetId=HTML2

Tuesday, October 25, 2016

The limit is 8

For several years I've listened to or read from those who are a little better than me and I let t it roll off my shoulders with little importance. But, a couple of recent events have compelled me to respond. I hope I don't lose your respect because I intend to keep chukar hunting one of the most enjoyable experiences I have ever had even if it means I have to quit telling people of my fun experiences.

In my circle of friends there is no EGO. Sure we secretly hope we get more birds than the other or shoot the biggest buck, but we know that tomorrow might just be the opposite way around and good for you. There seems to be more and more people out there with big EGO's that use the excuse of 'my personal limit". If it isn't an excuse then why do you even have to mention it. What you shot is what you shot. Chukar hunting isn't supposed to be a challenge of manhood, but rather enjoyment of the chase, the country and the dog.

I have heard too many times while discussing chukar hunting with others or reading in the internet the saying "my personal limit is ?", and it usually comes after I mention the great day I had. I don't try and tell people how many birds I got unless asked and I really hate hearing "I shot only four because that's my personal limit" trying to make me feel like I'm doing a bad thing. Especially when you know that person shot twice that many birds a week ago.

It always has amazed me how personal limits change from week to week. I've seen one person that has gone from one bird limit to a 6 bird limit and even had a 0 bird limit one time because he was into taking pictures. But still he carried a shotgun. Trust me, I've had many skunked days in the field and everyone of them I was carrying a shotgun and trying to get a bird. I'm not embarrassed to say it and am grateful for those days. They help me appreciate any good days I might have.

There is also the guy that shoves the 28 gauge or .410 in your face. Usually after you have shown your success. Even a double gun over an automatic which can shoot five shells in Idaho. Mentioning that only tries to diminish the accomplishment of the person who might have shot more birds.. I shoot a twelve gauge double barrel with 1 1/4 ounce of lead because it's what I enjoy shooting. One day I might go to a lighter 20 gauge simply because it is lighter but it won't be an excuse for getting fewer birds. I'll still be going for the legal limit and usually won't get it.

As we get older we seem to reflect back to the younger generation and tell them about the good old days. Yes, things were different back then but not necessarily better. Especially when it comes to chukar, huns and quail. I can't say this is the best year since the early seventies, but it seems to be on course to being in the top five. A couple of years ago it was one of the lowest I remember but there were still birds to be chased. The die hard chukar hunters were out there getting birds while the other's were blaming it on the fish and game. I don't know that this isn't the best year ever because it's not fair for me to compare this year to 2010 when I was 6 years younger and covered a little more country.

In closing, I have to admit to not understanding our current world. Maybe it's always been this way. We seem to be more interested in putting the other person down than being happy with our own accomplishments. Look at our current politics. No, let's not. Let's keep it simple on something like a marriage. It use to be the joining of two happy people that we wished the best for, now it's how fancy the wedding is and how much money was spent. Our young people are growing up worrying more about being better than the Jones's than just being happy. Be happy with what YOU have accomplished. If you're not than make a change to make it better.

As we get older we also come up with more excuses for being less successful. The truth is we can't get out there like we used too. We should be happy for the strength to do what we can and hope the next generation appreciates what we have as much as we do. Saying it's not like the good old days. That's a cop out. For chukars, this is the good old days.

For those who take offense  in what I have written, think about this. I, and I think more like me, don't care what your personal limit is, I just care that you had a good time getting or not getting the birds that you got. I don't care what kind of gun you have, I just hope you enjoy shooting yours as much as I do mine. I don't care what line your dog is from, I hope you enjoy him or her as much as I do mine. I hope you enjoy your hunts as much as I do mine with no excuses. I will try to understand it when you say, "I wasn't trying to get any birds, I just wanted to go for a hike in the wilderness" but decided to pack my shotgun.

I'll get back to posts about Jake and our hunts if I don't get stoned to death by someone. Once in a while I'll be able to post some pictures of success and tell you how proud or not so proud of Jake's work for the day. It all comes down to him for chukars. When he quits enjoying it so will I. Meanwhile I'll leave you with this picture. Can you imagine how great of a weekend I had with Conner? Four species of game animals this weekend. No, his personal limit was not one of each bird. He had several of each species of birds behind great work with Jake. What else in the world could matter?

9 comments:

Dave s said...

Please keep posting. I love your blog. My personal limit right now is to just hit something. My shooting has been a debacle since chukars season started.

Greg Munther said...

With chukars my personal goal is to bring back more weight in chukars than the weight of shells I headed up the hill with. Some days yes, some days no. And that I walked down the hill instead of rolling down. And of course my dog doesnt give up on me and confines her frustrations to simple backward glances.

larry szurgot said...

You're right Greg. Jake is starting to keep his own personal journal. One of his tracking items is how many tumbles I make a day. I wish there was a limit on that.

Cranky youngster said...

I agree with most of what you said, minus the age component. Some of the most competitive out of touch people I have met in hunting and fishing are 50+. There are plenty of people of all ages that love to beat their chests. As someone who is of the younger generation, I know plenty that aren't out to only shoot a limit, and they are millennials.

I think your take is spot on, but I think it applies to a broader application than just millennials.

Keep up the good writing, it helps me get my fix between weekends, as I imagine it does for us millennials who aren't retired yet :)

Hanson said...

I could have ran a 4 minute mile in high school, but my personal limit was just over 4:30....

An excuse to bow out at 1PM or after four birds is often the case when it comes chukars. A limit is often only earned with a lot sweat and swearing.

It also sounds like the dry fly purists that like to put down anglers that are nymph fishing.

I will be making my first chukar trip of the year this weekend and I will be either hunting all day, until my dogs poop out or until I am lucky enough to hit 8 of the SOBS.

Anonymous said...

Larry, i think there are way too many egos in the bird hunting world today. The internet forums and the photo essay report syndrome can make a 'net hero out of anybody who has some dead birds (freshly killed or out of the freezer or cooler ) , a camera, internet access, a false pointing dog to photograph, another false pointing dog to back, and a beautiful bird hunting country background. Only the dog knows the truth!!

I personally am thankful there are "old time " -ethics-based bird hunters like you who are out there, reporting things as they really are, unembellished, be it good or bad; and your only ego is that you respect and love your dogs, your family, and the birds. Not overstated. Not understated. Just straight honest observations. Don't apologize for the message from your pulpit. Some of the congregation needs to hear it until it sinks in and they live the right bird hunters ethics. Me too probably.

Anonymous said...

forgot to sign the post above...Gentleman from Tennessee

Calton said...

Can't imagine how awesome that weekend must have been for you and Conner!

I was glad to read your post, just as much as I enjoy each time you post. Wish there were more guys like you out there. Enjoy the game of the hunt, as will I!

Anonymous said...

You had me at "Chukar hunting isn't supposed to be a challenge of manhood, but rather enjoyment of the chase, the country and the dog."

Great post and great time for the kid. You are fortunate that you can take a grandchild out in good health and fun, and I am pretty sure you know it. I hope to be so lucky.

Cheers and keep up the posts!